Department of Costume Design And Fashion was started in the year 2004-2005, offering 3 years Bachelor Degree course in Costume Design and Fashion, affiliated to Bharathiar University, Coimbatore. It plays a vital role in benchmarking performance and processes in the areas of fashion education, research and development and training. It has set academic standards and excelled in thought leadership by providing a pool of creative genius and technically competent professionals. The department enjoys very high employability among reputed organizations and a high status as India’s most prestigious provider of education & training for the fashion and related sectors. Our dept has talented, sincere and enthusiastic Faculty members who can contribute effectively and strive to take the student to greater heights. Students are afforded an opportunity to perform in the ever-changing global apparel fashion.
Our objective is to train professionals with a comprehensive range of cognitive and intellectual skills, planned to develop across a wide range of learning experiences and to suit for the industrial needs without any further training.
- Latest models of equipment from leading Garment Machine manufacturers from all over the world.
- Skilled in-house, visiting and guest Faculty drawn from Industry, world wide.
- Spacious classrooms equipped with comfortable seating.
- Ultra modern laboratory for Garment Production, Fashion Design, Pattern Making and Textile
testing (Fiber to Apparel).
- Sewing practice lab for basic to advance on industrial high speed machine stitching.
- Well stocked Modern Library, CD’s, videos, books & periodicals from the world over.
- Most modern high-tech Auditorium for Seminars, Workshops and presentation.
- OHP facility and other training aids.
- The CAD design centre to bring out students creative talent to match contemporary requirement of the industry on most advanced computer applications in Garment & Textile making. Besides this our activities and operations are closely linked with some of the best industry.
Teaching at the Institute incorporates a cohesive, contextual and nurturing environment for learning. The emphasis is on self-motivated learning by using information, experience and practice. The teaching methodology aims at using the inputs from core functional areas to inter-disciplinary issues and problem solving. Students undertake classroom and workshop assignments, conduct field observations, make presentations and participate in group discussions and seminars and are encouraged to develop industry linkages.
Continuous evaluation and assessment is undertaken throughout the semester by way of assignments, projects, internships and presentations. Juries comprising academicians and industry professionals assess students' work and capabilities. The aim is to closely monitor students evolution as competent professionals and provide critical feedback to students on their performance and development.
IMPORTANT ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
- Inplant training and Documentation: As part of inplant training, students undertake field visits to closely interact and work with industry to add value to their project.
- Educational Visits: Students frequently visit industrial units to integrate theory with practice. They also visit museums, art galleries, exhibitions, and trade fairs to keep abreast with latest fashion trends.
- Industry Internship: Students intern for 3 to 4 weeks to understand the structural and functional constituents of the industry. During the internship, students learn to adapt to real industry situations and are assigned practical projects, which equip them for decision-making in a realistic environment. The internship also helps strengthen the relationship between industry and students.
- Portfolio presentation: The graduation portfolio undertaken by students encapsulates the various skills imbibed during the course of study. The project done by students provides a challenging platform to extend and demonstrate their skills in designing.
- An integrated training programme covering the wholesome topics, theoretical and the practical aspect is imparted by way of lectures, demonstration, audio visual aids, projects, seminars, workshops and industrial visits.
Our prime objective has been to spawn a critical mass of highly competent technical professionals in the area of Fashion Design, Technology and Management capable of providing leadership to the Fashion industry, to enable it to compete better in the global economy.
The placement training Unit facilitates on campus placements for students to enable them to start their careers in challenging positions. Leading national and international companies participate in Campus Placements .
The profile of companies attending placements have expanded substantially with diverse segments of industry like large retailers, brand marketers, manufacturers, consultancy organizations, textile mills, home furnishing companies, design BPO's, technology solution providers, and large apparel manufacturing companies along with international brands visiting the campus absorb the Institute's talented graduates to meet their specialized needs.
- Making tie-ups with the garment industry and arrange in plant programs.
- Conducting exhibitions and arrange the sales of the garments designed by the students.
- Fashion shows may be organized in collaboration with leading textile shops in the city as to popularize the department and college.
- Arranging embroidery and dyeing classes for the orphans and the prisoners at their places jointly with the respective organization.
- Garment design competition may be conducted and certificates and cash prize may be awarded.
- Industrial visits may be programmed.
- The student may create their own designs of sports garments and night dresses for the students of Nehru Group of Institutions and exhibit for sales.
- Students who are interested may write articles in papers.
- Annual news letter may be brought out by the department.
- Students should take active participation in the intercollegiate competitions and programs.
- Intimate Fashion Pvt Ltd., Chennai
- Stallion Garments, Tirupur
- Immanual Silks ,Trivandrum
- Isex Fashion Pvt Ltd., Chennai
- Akr Textiles, Tirupur
- Century Apparels, Tirupur
- Prem Durai Exports, Tirupur
- Reliance Dyeing Works, Tirupur
- Texport Industries, Tirupur
- Guptha Garmentsm, Chennai
- Madura coats
- Fab india